Applying for Registration
Please note that registration with NSA is not a requirement for you to obtain a provider number with Medicare or any other health care provider.
Before applying, we recommend that you read the following documents about the scheme. These documents are in pdf format that may require you to install the free Acrobat Reader software from the Adobe Website.
- NSA Voluntary Register of Nutritionists
- Competencies in Nutrition Science
- Specialist Competencies in Nutrition Science - Animal Nutritionist
- Specialist Competencies in Nutrition Science – Public Health Nutritionist
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Guide to Continuing Professional Development
What is the route to gaining registration?
Please see the three pathways for registration below:
- If you have a science based Bachelor’s degree majoring in nutrition, click HERE.
- If you have a science based Bachelor’s degree majoring in a subject other than nutrition, click HERE.
- If you have any other type of non science Bachelor’s degree, click HERE.
If you have overseas qualifications, you will need to contact your state based Overseas Qualification Unit (OQU) and have your qualification assessed. This service is usually free but there may be eligibility criteria. Click here to contact your local OQU. There is no OQU in New South Wales (NSW). If you live in NSW, see the Qualification Assessment page for information on AEI assessment services and how to apply.
Submitting an application
Key application dates
The Registration Committee meet four times per year to review and discuss application. Applications rounds are as follows:
- March – Deadline 1 February
- June – Deadline 1 May
- September – Deadline 1 August
- November – Deadline 1 October
Before submitting your application, please make sure that you have read all the background information, including the Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any further queries about your qualifications and experience, contact the NSA Secretariat.
Complete the Application Form for registration.
Other documents required include:
- Application form
- Full CV
- Three references (professional and academic ideally)
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts (by JP or at police station)
- If applicable:
- Overseas academic transcripts with English translations and evidence of equivalency to Australian qualification
- Certified marriage certificate if name has changed
- Statement of competency if applying for RPHNutr or RAnNutr
- 100 CPD points if their degree was over 12 months ago
Optional: Certified degree certificate
Scan and save as single PDF file
Send the completed form, along with your supporting documentation and your payment, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or post to:
Nutrition Society of Australia
PO Box 576
Crows Nest NSW 1585
If you have enquiries about applying for registration (e.g. you might be unsure whether your qualifications are likely to be acceptable or which courses might be of benefit) or you have already applied for registration and have queries about the status of your application, please contact the NSA Secretariat.