Applying for Registration
Please note that registration with NSA is not a requirement for you to obtain a provider number with Medicare or any other health care provider.
Before applying, we recommend that you read the following documents about the scheme. These documents are in pdf format that may require you to install the free Acrobat Reader software from the Adobe Website.
- NSA Voluntary Register of Nutritionists
- Competencies in Nutrition Science
- Specialist Competencies in Nutrition Science
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Guide to Continuing Professional Development
What is the route to gaining registration?
Please see the three pathways for registration below:
- If you have a science based Bachelor’s degree majoring in nutrition, click HERE.
- If you have a science based Bachelor’s degree majoring in a subject other than nutrition, click HERE.
- If you have any other type of non science Bachelor’s degree, click HERE.
If you have overseas qualifications, you will need to contact your state based Overseas Qualification Unit (OQU) and have your qualification assessed. This service is usually free but there may be eligibility criteria. Click here to contact your local OQU. There is no OQU in New South Wales (NSW). If you live in NSW, see the Qualification Assessment page for information on AEI assessment services and how to apply.
Submitting an application
Key application dates
The Registration Committee meet four times per year to review and discuss application. Applications rounds are as follows:
- March – Deadline 1 February
- June – Deadline 1 May
- September – Deadline 1 August
- November – Deadline 1 October
Before submitting your application, please make sure that you have read all the background information, including the Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any further queries about your qualifications and experience, contact the NSA Secretariat.
Make sure that you have the necessary documents to support your application. If you have overseas qualifications, these must be verified by the Australian Government Australian Education International.
Fill in the Application Form for registration.
Send the completed form, along with your supporting documentation and your payment, to:
Nutrition Society of Australia
PO Box 576
Crows Nest NSW 1585
If you have enquiries about applying for registration (e.g. you might be unsure whether your qualifications are likely to be acceptable or which courses might be of benefit) or you have already applied for registration and have queries about the status of your application, please contact the NSA Secretariat.